Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Home-made chips

I order a weekly box from a CSA called Full Circle Farm which conveniently send a box of fresh organic produce practically to my door step every Wednesday, weather and volcanoes permitting.

My box the past couple weeks have had tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, egg plants, potatoes and for some reason a butternut squash. (Yes, I realize it looks kind of phallic--dirty minded people, sheesh) After a long stressful week, I decided to make cheeseburgers and chips. If you have never tried making your own chips, I really suggest you do. It's alot of fun and you can put whatever seasoning on them you want. All you need is a cast iron skillet, food processor and 1/2 gallon of cooking oil. :)

2 pounds of small potatoes (I had a bag of purple and yellow)
cooking oil (I use canola oil)
salt, pepper or other seasonings

Run your little potatoes through your food processor with the slicing blade. If you don't have a food procesor, you can cut them by hand, you might have to cook them longer. Heat your oil to about 350 --which on my stove is about 6 or high-medium. Add the potatoes to the hot oil giving a stir just to make sure that potatoes are not sticking. After about 5-6 minutes, they should be blowned & ready to come out of the oil on to a papertowel lined plate. Season imediately. Continue this process until you are out of potatoes.
Garnish with a cheeseburger with all the fixens.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing like a yummy cheeseburger and some home-made potato chips to give you greasy gastrointestinal distress.

    But darn if it it's tasty!

    ReplyDelete