Thursday, April 2, 2009

Eggplant Parmesan or deep fried eggplant

You can call it eggplant Parmesan, but that seems a bit fancy. And really one of the best ways to get the men folk to eat some vegetables than to deep fry it and cover it with cheese. This is pretty easy as long as you are not scared of deep frying. You can use one of those fancy deep fryers with the basket if deep frying scares you. If you're not scared, pull out your cast iron skillet and get started.


Gather together:
2 medium eggplants (sliced in to 1/2 slices and soaked in salt water for an hour)
panko bread crumbs or your favorite bread crumbs
4 eggs--beaten
oil for frying

Since this took place so soon after the potato chips, I just left my oil in my cast iron pan for use with this. I heated the oil to about 350 or medium heat. Get your station set up with your egg bath and bread crumbs. Coat the egg plant in the egg, then the bread crumbs and carefully place in the oil. Fry on each side until they are golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

At this point, I put the fried eggplant in a casserole dish, added marinara and covered in Parmesan. I let the cheese melt in the oven using the broil option. I served this with whole wheat pasta to counter the effects of all the oil.


This was pretty good. I was surprised that Aaron ate 2 pieces of eggplant, but then again, you really can't go wrong with fried vegetables.

1 comment:

  1. Eggplant in this recipe really just serves as a vehicle for the bread crumbs it was coated in. You really don't notice the eggplant. It was good.

    ReplyDelete