Thursday, April 2, 2009

Chocolate Malt Cake



I took pictures of this cake long before I had a food blog. I baked this for Anthony for his 27th
 birthday (hence the 27). He loves malt anything, so I figured this would be the perfect cake. It was a straight forward recipe and was definitely for the malt lover.  The buttercream was super buttery. So, if you like butter and malt, you'll like it.

Chocolate Malt Cake

2 cups malted milk powder

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 teaspoon kosher salt (I used regular salt and it was fine)

3/4 teaspoons baking soda

3 large eggs

1 1/3 cups granulated sugar

2/3 cup vegetable oil

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/3 cups whole milk (I used skim because it was all I had and it turned out fine)

 

1. Heat the over to 325. Coat two 8-inch cake pans with flour and oil.

2. Combine malted milk powder, flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl.

3. Combine eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla in a separate bowl and whisk until combined and smooth. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and whisk until incorporated. Add 1/2 the milk and whisk until smooth. Continue with the remaining flour mixture and milk, alternating between the two until all the ingredients are incorporated and smooth.

4. Divide batter into the two pans. Bake about 45 minutes.


Malt Frosting

3 sticks (12 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

3/4 cup malted milk powder

1/2 cup whole milk, at room temperature (I used skim. It was good.)

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon salt

I used my stand mixer and creamed all the ingredients together. Add more powdered sugar if you like a stiff icing. I put crushed malt balls around the edge of the cake to make it pretty.



No comments:

Post a Comment