Sunday, April 5, 2009

Blood oranges

I got more blood oranges in my CSF box this week. It's pretty exciting because they are hard to come by sometimes. Erin and I back in January attempted to make this blood orange cake from the anticraft. It was really pretty in the picture and it used the blood oranges and had a poppy seed filling. We didn't have enough blood orange juice (each orange only rendered about 1/8 cup of juice) and the blood orange sauce never set right so it was just runny. Also, Dillingham lacks poppy seed pie filling. My only other option was to make poppy seed filling, but you need at least a cup of poppy seeds would would have cost me about $100 since they sell those tiny bottle of poppy seeds for $12 each and I would have needed about 9 bottles. I just can't spend $100 on poppy seeds. It's so wrong. So I bought a can of black berries that expired in 2005. I was pretty excited that the cashier gave them to me for a penny since they expired 4 years ago. I guess no one really likes black berries here. So any way, the cake was a bit of a flob. (sorry we didn't get pictures) So here I am with 4 more blood oranges and nothing to do with them.

I had been wanting some southern style sweet tea. The idea went kinda like this:
Sweet tea + Blood oranges= Blood tea (or blood orange tea if you prefer not to be creeped out)

This is easy. Make ice tea --not that instant stuff--brew the tea. This can be done by boiling water and putting it in a pitcher with some tea bags or just clean out the coffee pot and brew the tea bags in there. I used black tea bags. While the tea is still warm, add sugar or splenda. Cut 1 blood orange in to slices and toss in the pitcher. Chill for a couple hours.
Serve this with southern fried chicken and buttermilk biscuits or your scary meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment