Sunday, April 5, 2009

Biscuits and gravy

What are you going to cook for breakfast at 11am on a Sunday morning after a long night of Wii karaoke? Biscuits and sausage gravy! Ok, so I cheated and used Bisquick for the biscuits. I swear I am going to follow Alton Brown's advice and make my own biscuit mix, but I haven't yet. I have mastered sausage gravy. This isn't an exact science when it comes to making gravy, you just go by what looks right so I am not going to give any measurements.


Gather together:
1 lb of bulk sausage--not links
milk
flour
salt & pepper to taste
cast iron skillet

Brown the sausage in the skillet. Break up the meat in to small pieces as you go, unless you like large chunky gravy--there is nothing wrong with that. Once all the meat is browned, remove it from the pan in to a collandar over a bowl to catch the oil. The oil is important so try to drain as much of the oil off the sausage in to the bowl. Add the oil back in to the pan. Add some flour a couple tablespoons. You want a bubbly flour mixture known as a roux, not a paste. If you added too much flour, pour in a bit of canola oil. Let the roux bubble and get brown. Slowly wisk in the milk. I used about 2.5-3 cups. Crank this up to medium high heat and continue wisking until you think that it is never going to thicken and you start freaking out a bit. And then keep wisking. It will thicken. Just keep wisking. After what seems like 20 minutes (in reality is only about 8 minutes) the gravy will start coating the wisk. Let it bubble for a few mintues longer then remove from heat. Stir in the sausage. I only used about 1/2 of the sausage for the gravy and saved the rest for later, but if you love sausage, feel free to use it all. Add salt and pepper to taste.


Serve this over biscuits with some fruit on the side.


On a side not, not every thing I make is deep fried with butter and pork. Most mornings Aaron eats a granola bar and I have a cup of coffee with splenda and a piece of fruit or toast. This kind of stuff we eat on rare occassions. But it wouldn't be any fun if I blogged about every piece of toast and cup of coffee, or would it? No, no it wouldn't. So there you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment