Sunday, July 5, 2009

Fromage Fort--taken from Good Eats


What can I say, I am a sucker for the food network. What foodie isn't? One of my favorite shows is "Good Eats" with Alton Brown. It's like Mr. Wizard and Emeril had a show. It's science and food all rolled in to one. I was fascinated by this particular show due to the high cheese content and the thought of leftover cheese being used before it goes funky.

Gather together:
  • One pound of left over cheese at room temperature
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves
  • 1 small clove garlic
Remove any rinds from hard cheeses. Grate hard cheeses and cut others into 1/2-inch cubes.


Place cheese, wine, butter, herbs, and garlic in a food processor and blend until smooth, approximately 2 minutes.


Serve immediately or refrigerate for at least 1 hour for a firmer consistency. This can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. I made mine in to balls and garnished with extra herbs.



This stuff was pretty good. I didn't get to eat a lot of it due to a trip in to the interior (that means not the bush of Alaska, but some place on the road system). It was a great way to use up all the cheese I had leftover from recent trips to Anchorage. I would buy cheese in bulk and hope I would get to eat it all before it went funky. There isn't a whole lot of cheese selection here in the DLG, so anytime I make a trip out, I try to pick up a couple pounds. My favorites include: Parrano, (non smoked) Gouda, Cave aged Emmentaler, Butterkaese, Havarti & Parmigiano-Reggiano.

1 comment:

  1. You can freeze this in a ramekin. jacque Pepin says so, and I've done it. Those redware little crocks that some french washed-rind cheeses come in are perfect for this. Then, if you also have a few baguettes in the freezer, you are set to entertain. or in your case -- and mine -- just pack em up and leave em outside in a secure container!

    ReplyDelete