Monday, July 13, 2009

Cake Pops

For our friend Saramay's birthday I created cake pops. These have been featured on many blogs before and I've always been itching to make them. Samara picked me up some candy melts in Fairbanks so I could finally make them. I thought they were pretty easy to do and looked impressive. They're sort of time consuming and tedious, but fun as well.

First, you bake a cake and let it cool. I just used a cake mix, so that gives you a rough estimate about how big of a cake to make. Then, once the cake is cooled, you break up the cake in a big bowl and put about a jar of frosting in it. You mash this up until it becomes a sort of sticky mess. I then used my cookie scoop to scoop out balls of the cake mixture. I put these in the freezer for about 15 minutes while I melted the candy melts.

I put the sticks into the candy melts and then poked them into the semi-frozen cake balls. Here is a picture:

I put this back into the freezer until the candy melt hardened up. I then sort of drizzled the candy melt over the cake ball. I tried to dip it, but that ended in sadness. (The cake ball fell off. It was tasty, though.) I then sprinkled some fancy sprinkles on it that my mom gave me. (These tasted like mocha. How fancy!)

Here are all the cake balls lined up in the styrofoam. I poked holes in the styrofoam to allow the cake pops to dry. This worked pretty well.

Overall, I think this was a success. I like how they're fairly simple to make and the possibilities are endless.


4 comments:

  1. No photos. :( I was looking forward to seeing these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to use the sprinkles. Good idea for the preschoolers. They would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were very tasty. Perfect treat for a special occasion like a birthday :)

    ReplyDelete