Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Baked Oatmeal

Last weekend Anthony's parents and brother were in Dillingham to see what this rural Alaska business is all about. I wanted to make them something warm and filling for breakfast, but didn't want to have to get up at 5 AM. I found this recipe and gave it a try. I really thought it was pretty good and super easy. The best part about it was I could mix the ingredients the night before then pop it in the oven in the morning. This kept me full all morning and was quite good! (Sorry there are no pictures. It just wasn't on my mind at 6:30 AM.)

Baked Oatmeal (from Cooking Light)

2 cups uncooked oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup raisins (I used crasins)
2 tbs chopped almonds
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups milk ( I used evaporated with no problem)
1/2 cup applesauce
2 tbs butter, melted
1 large egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 375. Combine the first five ingredients in a large bowl. Combine the milk, applesauce, butter, and egg in a separate bowl. (I then left them separated overnight and combined them in the morning.) Add milk mixture to oat mixture. Combine well and then put into an 8 inch baking dish covered in cooking spray. Bake about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment