Sunday, July 5, 2009

Easy chicken & Bean Enchiladas


I know the thought of making home made enchiladas is kinda daunting. This is the stress free way of doing it. I even made 2 different types both under 15 minutes (not including cooking time). This is so easy you can do it with the kids. By using left over grilled chicken or left over crockpot chicken you can make this easy and cheap. I like the idea of cooking once and eating twice.

When I asked my friend Saramay what she wanted for her birthday, her answer was for me to cook Mexican food. I can do that. I was basically given free reign to cook what I wanted as long as I showed up at her house on Friday at 6pm with food in hand. I had decided earlier in the week I was going to crock pot a chicken, so I had some left over chicken for this dish. I call it faux enchiladas because a.) I don't use the red enchilda sauce on the chicken and b.) I don't use corn tortillas. So it's more like all things in burrito form with a different style of cheese. I do want to say that my mother-in-law taught me how to make the chicken enchiladas.

Chicken Enchiladas
2 cups of diced/shredded chicken
1 small onion diced
can of cheese soup
16on container of sour cream
1 lb of shredded cheese
1 packages of flour tortillas (taco size is fine, but you can use burrito if you want bigger enchiladas)

In a bowl mix the soup and the sour cream. Reserve 1/2 and put onion, chicken and 1/2 of the shredded cheese in a bowl.Mix thoroughly. Spray down casserole dish with cooking spray. Fill a tortilla with chicken mixture and place seam side down in casserole dish. Continue until you run out of chicken mixture & Tortillas. Take the remaining cheese soup mixture and spread on tortillas. Top with shredded cheese and heat in oven at 350 for 30 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted.


Bean and cheese enchiladas
1 can of black beans (rinsed)
1 small onion (diced)
1 pound shredded cheese
1 can of enchilada sauce (yes, the premade stuff is ok to use--red or green you decide)
flour tortillas

Mix the beans, onion and 1/2 of the shredded cheese. Fill the tortillas with the bean mixture and place seam side down in a casserole that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Continue filling with bean mixture until you run out of beans or tortillas. Top with enchilada sauce. Finish with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve this to your vegetarian friends.


Sorry the pictures aren't pretty. I took the uncooked over to a friend's birthday party. It was a huge success.

No comments:

Post a Comment