Saturday, June 6, 2009

Hamilton Beach 3-in-1 slowcooker: a review

After reading the 365 days of crockpotting blog, I did some research about what kind of crockpot/slow cooker I wanted. I read reviews of a number of different crockpots and slow cookers and I took into consideration my life style ( a couple with no kids who hosts a lot of dinner parties) and decided on the Hamilton Beach 3-in-in slowcooker. The problem is I have a 5 quart slow cooker that works just fine that I got about 2 years ago when one I inherited from my mom had started to leak. So there was pretty much no way I could talk Aaron in to letting me get a new $60 appliance when mine is fully functioning. I looked on line at Target.com, Macy's.com and Amazon.com, the cheapest I found it was $45, but then I had to pay shipping (which would be at least $15 if not more).

I went to the local AC "home" store on my break the other day. (Home is used loosely because it technically sells stuff like pillows, but you only have one option. And it sells things like over priced sofas and ovens, but again there is no selection, just one to pick from.) And there it was in all it's glory: the Hamilton Beach 3-in-1 slowcooker! I'm not going to lie, I knew it was there. I have known since around Christmas, but it was still $60, until today. Today it was $30. I think I can justify a $30 purchase. So I brought it home and it was all mine.
It has 3 different pots in 3 pretty colors: pumpkin orange, soft custard yellow and sage green. There are 2, 4 & 6 crocks to put in it. There are buttons you push to indicate what crock is in it and it also has a high, low and warming setting. The 2 quart bowl will be perfect for heating up a chocolate or cheese dip. The 4 quart will be perfect for a dinner just for Aaron and I and maybe one other person. And the 6 quart is perfect to roast a chicken in then make chicken soup when it is done cooking.

There was PLENTY of room in the crock for the whole chicken. I didn't even have to try to squish the wings down. I looked it on high for 3.5 hours and the meat was tender and just fell off the bone. When I added the noodles, I had it set to warm for about 20 minutes and the egg noodles were perfect and didn't become mushy. It was nice. I am so looking forward to making more things with the slowcooker. I'll keep you posted.

I want to mention that the large crock does not plop down all the way in to the heating thingy. It was engineered this way, so looking at it the first time was weird. But everything turned out fine
.

3 comments:

  1. Samara, I didn't know they had anything like that out there. Thank you for posting about it. It gives me a great idea for a special couple I know.

    Tammie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, just so you know I too have this crock pot. It's awesome! I also got it at AC for a good price, surprisingly. Just so you know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, there are items at the home store, just no selection. There was only one type of slow cooker there. We both got it.

    ReplyDelete