Monday, June 15, 2009

Fail

Not everything I make turns out okay. Last week I had a number of failures. Take, for instance, the banana bread I made. The recipe seemed promising since it had almost 4,000 reviews on allrecipes.com. With 4.5 stars, I figured it was going to be good. A red flag went off for me when I read the recipe and saw no vanilla (come on, this is a baked good!), no cinnamon, no nutmeg, no spices at all. This recipe also called for a ridiculous amount of bananas. I ended up using over five bananas in this bread. I had a feeling the bread would have some texture issues, but I baked on anyway. Long story short, this bread was flat, gummy, and without much flavor. I even threw in some vanilla and cinnamon just because it felt right, and it still turned out sort of blah. There were way too many bananas and they just sunk to the bottom of the bread, making a weird sort of mashed banana layer. I suppose this all could have been user error, but really, no vanilla?

My second bad experience was with some oatmeal raisin cookies. I was in a hurry so I pulled the butter out of the fridge and microwaved it for 15 seconds. It was a good consistency at this point (soft, not melted) so I went forward with the cookies. I creamed together the butter and brown sugar and went to move on to the next step. It was then I realized that I still had to add white sugar. So, I added the white sugar and creamed it some more. This was a mistake, as my butter became more liquidy. By the time I added the other ingredients the butter seemed to be melted. My cookies spread in weird shapes and ended up crispy. Boo. This is my go-to oatmeal raisin recipe, so it was definitely user error.

Learn from my mistakes. Shy away from any baked good recipe without vanilla (unless there is some other sort of extract) and don't over-beat the butter.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes you learn the most from the things you do wrong. I sooo understand this now, and the more I bake the more I learn to trust my gut when recipes seem wrong.

    ReplyDelete