Saturday, May 2, 2009

Mint julep bourbon balls


The drink of choice at derby time is the Mint Julep. The candy of choice in Kentucky is the bourbon ball and thus enters the Mint julep bourbon balls. Being the person I am, I made a few changes. I rolled the balls in cocoa powder. Normally, bourbon balls are dipped in chocolate, but I lack chocolate chips. And did I mention that the bourbon was $65? Yes, that's right. That's the kind of prices that I have to deal with. You can imagine I don't buy this kind of stuff very often. I also have other plans for the bourbon, but I digress.

gather together

2 1/2 c Vanilla wafer crumbs
1 c Sifted powdered sugar
1 c Finely chopped pecans or
-walnuts
3 tb Light corn syrup
1/4 c Bourbon
1/4 c White creme de menthe

Makes 50 to 60 balls

Crush vanilla wafers until fine and mix with powdered sugar and nuts
in a large bowl. Add corn syrup, bourbon and creme de menthe. Mix
well and form into balls.

If desired, roll in additional powdered
sugar or cocoa powder. Let mellow at room temperature for 24 hours ( I have no idea what this means--I put them in the fridge to firm up a bit. Store in tightly in a closed container.

No comments:

Post a Comment