Monday, May 11, 2009

Greek Potato Salad


This salad reminds me of the salad I used to make at Whole Food Market. Obviously, I do not recall the Whole Food market recipe since it has been 5 years since I have worked there. I do remember that it is made with red potatoes and I think they used the Greek dressing made in their commissary. Since I don't have a huge kitchen that makes fancy dressings for me, I used the old oil and lemon juice recipe. This is relative easy to make.

Gather together:
  • 1.5 lbs of red potatoes
  • 1 medium red onion (I used yellow b/c it was all I had)--thinly sliced
  • 1 jar pitted Kalamata olives--They were $11 in the DLG***
  • Cherry Tomatoes (I didn't have any so no tomatoes in this salad)
  • feta cheese
  • juice from 2 lemons
  • olive oil (or canola oil--once again, this is what I had on had)
  • Cavenders Greek seasoning (Salt-Free)--BUY THIS STUFF, IT IS AWESOME!
  • Parsley--chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste
Boil or steam the potatoes until tender, about 10-15 minutes. While those are working, make the dressing. Add the seasoning to the lemon juice. Slowly whisk the oil until it thickens. This amount will very depending on the amount of lemon juice you have. Add the onions, olives, tomatoes and parsley. Drain the potatoes and allow to cool. I put mine in the freezer for about 10 minutes. (I am not so worried about the ice cream that is probably getting ruined by putting hot potatoes on it. Here is my confession, I don't really care for ice cream. It's sick I know.) Once the potatoes are cool, mix them in to the dressing. Crumble with feta cheese on top and add salt and pepper to taste. Allow to chill about a half hour before serving.


This salad is really flavorful and super easy to make. And if you haven't about some of this Greek seasoning, you really should. I put it on french fries, fried potatoes, fry bread, hamburgers, chicken and all other things good. You will love this stuff.

***I also wanted to note that the olives were not pitted and I had to do it by hand. The rest of the country can get pitted olives that are under $11 dollar, not here in DLG.

No comments:

Post a Comment