Monday, March 16, 2009

Crock Pot Hummus

This is not the first time I have used dried chickpeas to make hummus, nor is this the first time I have made hummus. But it never ceases to amaze me how amazing this stuff is. Chickpeas don't exist here in Dillingham. There are no dried or canned chickpeas in the stores. This makes me sad. So a few months ago, my friend Ann sent me some dried chickpeas and they were at a great price. (I need more chickpeas!)


This is how you prepare the chickpeas:
  1. Add dried chick peas to crock pot--I have the 6 qt with the removable crock and I covered the bottom. (about 2 cups of dried chickpeas)
  2. Add cold water.--Enough water to cover all the chickpeas and allow the chickpeas to expand about 3 times their size.
  3. Let them soak over night--I let them soak for about 12 hours
  4. Drain the water
  5. Add water--I filled it about half way full making sure all the peas were covered with room for them to expand
  6. Set the crockpot on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours--you can go to work and the chickpeas will be done by the time you get back
  7. Drain reserving about 1 cup of liquid

Some recipes call for baking soda. DO NOT DO THIS. Just soak them over night and cook in the crock pot. They turn out perfectly.

I didn't exactly have all the things most of the hummus recipes called for so I used what I had and I'm not not one to measure--I just eyeballed it. Here is what I did (roughly):
  • add 4 c. chickpeas to blender
  • add the juice from 1/2 a lime-most people use lemon juice
  • add 2t of tahini--Ann sent me this as well.
  • add 1/4 cup of oil-I used canola oil instead of olive oil
  • add 1 tbls of salt
  • add 1 bulb of roasted garlic--see this post
  • add 1/2 cup reserved liquid
Blend. Shake blender. Blend again. You can add more more oil or liquid if its too thick. If its too thin, add extra chick peas. Mine turned out super. Aaron thought he should eat it warm with Kettle Salt & Pepper chips. I also added Mrs.Dash and chili flakes to this. You can add what ever you like, more garlic, less garlic, dill, Cajun seasoning, really add what you want. I thought about adding the roasted red peppers to the mix, but I had a hard time keeping Aaron out of the kitchen while I was blending so I just let it go.

1 comment:

  1. Yep. Hummus. Fresh from the blender. Can't be beat!

    I don't even really like store-bought hummus, and I enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete