Sunday, March 15, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Cookies

Occassionally we can get a good deal on cream cheese. Usually that is because it is expiring. Living in the Bush has taught me that expiration dates really are more of a guideline, and if you want to save some money you have to buy old things. One of the sales on cream cheese arrived and I ended up with three packages of it in my fridge. I was craving a baked good, but had no eggs and no springform pan, so cheesecake was out of the question. Luckily, BakingBlonde saved the day and I found this lovely recipe.
The dough came together nicely. It had a good consistency and was yummy! Since there's no raw egg you can eat as much cookie dough as you want! (Although the risks of raw egg have never stopped me before.)
This recipe made about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

The finished product was good. I am a fan of a soft, chewy chocolate chip cookie and these were just that. They had great texture. The cream cheese flavor was very subtle and I think even non-cream cheese fans would like this cookie. Do try this recipe!

Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 cups plus 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted & cooled until room temp
5-6 oz. cream cheese softened (I used 6 oz.)
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Whisk dry ingredients together; set aside. With electric mixer, or by hand.Mix butter and cream cheese together with a mixture until smooth. Add sugars and beat until thoroughly combined.Beat in vanilla until combined.Add dry ingredients & beat at low speed just until combined. Stir in chips. Chill dough overnight. OR Drop dough onto parchment lined baking sheets (I didn’t do this and they turned out fine.) and bake for 12-14 minutes or until edges are set and bottoms are light brown. Do NOT overbake!
Cool cookies on sheets until able to lift without breaking and place on wire rack to cool.

3 comments:

  1. I just happened to blog about cookies last night! You might like that recipe, too. Very yummy, makes a lot, and freezes well. (By the way - Hi there! I'm an old friend of Samara's - way, way back a long time ago!) These look yummy, and I might have to try them since my hubby recently complained that I need to make more "plain ol' chocolate chip cookies." ;)

    Oh - and the raw eggs never kept me from eating the cookie dough, either. Not one bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. here's the blog I wrote with the recipe, if you're interested :) http://daisyryanadkins.blogspot.com/
    i love to bake, too, and sporadically post about baking, cooking, etc. :) i'm loving this blog you guys are doing. so many yummy things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your blog and nice to "meet" you! I'm going to check it out right now!

    ReplyDelete