Sunday, September 20, 2009

Bourbon Spiced Pumpkin Bars


These Bourbon Spiced Pumpkin Bars were taken from the Good Things Catered blog. Having come back from Kentucky (the Land of Bourbon and horse farms) only a few weeks ago, I am still in love with all things bourbon. It reminds me of home. And since it is fall here in Dillingham, I thought I should celebrate before winter starts. Naturally, I was drawn to this recipe. Oh and I doubled the recipe because I lack an 8x8 pan--I used my 9x13. I also omitted the oil. With that much pumpkin, it would be moist enough but remember to drain your pumpkin. The recipe that follows is not doubled, but it doubles very easily.



Gather together:

1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c. white sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree, drained on a paper towel lined fine strainer--I used a tea towel
1 egg
1 Tbsp bourbon
1 tsp vanilla extract

Icing
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tsp bourbon

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line and prepare an 8x8 baking pan.
  • In medium bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, spice and salt.
  • Whisk to combine thoroughly and set aside.
  • In bowl of stand mixer, add eggs, sugars, oil, and pumpkin until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
  • Add bourbon, vanilla and mix to combine.
  • Stir flour mixture into pumpkin mixture until just combined.
  • Spread evenly into prepared pan.
  • Place in oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean--it took about 45 minutes with
  • Cool completely before frosting.
  • Meanwhile, in bowl of stand mixer, combine cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and bourbon and mix to combine well.
  • Slowly add in powdered sugar until completely combined.
  • Frost cooled bars with icing, cut, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment