Sunday, November 21, 2010

Traditional Cranberry Relish (or cranberry goo as I like to call it)

I have never made cranberry relish in my life. In fact, I prefer the can shaped, red gel that slices super easy. However, this is also the first year that I will be hosting my entire family and it seems that some people like the real goo and not the can shaped stuff.

I got a few good ideas and decided to try to throw some thing together:



Gather together:
  • 4 c. cranberries
  • 1.5 c. water
  • 2 c. sugar
  • zest and juice from one orange
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1 tsp of ground cloves (or about 5 cloves--but you'll have to remove these later)
  • 1 tsp of ground ginger
Add water, sugar and orange zest and juice. Cook until sugar is dissolved. Then add cranberries, cinnamon, cloves and ginger. Bring to a rapid boil then simmer for 20-30 minutes.

Remove the cinnamon stick and allow to chill completely.



OMG! THIS STUFF IS AMAZING! However, I have to wait a few days until I get to add this very festive and delicious goo to my overloaded plate of turkey, mash potatoes and all the fixin's.

No comments:

Post a Comment